RE: Informal Meeting To Discuss Issues Related to the Legal Profession in Indiana
DATE and TIME: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 7 p.m.
LOCATION: Indianapolis TBA (Will announce the exact place for the meeting about a week out.)
CONTACT: Paul K. Ogden, 317-297-9720, pogden297@comcast.net
Over the course of the last several years, I have heard countless complaints from Indiana attorneys about matters related to the legal profession, some of which I have addressed on this blog. Organizations such as the Indiana and Indianapolis Bar Associations, though have not once lifted a finger to address any of these concerns. I don't believe those traditional attorney organizations, dominated by partners at big law firms, will ever take those complaints seriously unless they see attorneys organized and speaking in a unified voice. The purpose of this meeting is to take the first step in organizing to address those long ignored concerns.
What are the issues I would like attorneys to discuss at the meeting? Here are a few:
- Law schools lying to students about job employment numbers and salaries
- Law schools failing to teach graduates the basics involved in practicing law
- Failure of law schools to help graduates looking for legal employment
- A lack of jobs for attorneys due to an oversaturated job market
- Poor, stagnant pay for associates, while partner salaries at big firms continue to increase
- Further saturation of the job market brought on by the possible opening of a fifth law school, Indiana Tech, which would be the first for profit law school in the state
- Enormous law school debt faced by many new attorneys
Please contact me if you're a law student, graduate and/or attorney who is interested in attending the meeting on August 16th. I would like to get a count by August 9th. My contact information is at the top of this page.