A Naked Guy in My Nuvo

Although I picked up a Nuvo earlier this week, it wasn't until news coverage of the naked guy though I flipped my copy to Page 12.  Sure enough there is a naked guy right there with penis proudly exposed.

Not actual picture that
appeared in Nuvo.
In response to the fuss stirred by the photograph, Nuvo Editor Laura McPhee defending the publication as "art" and said they had featured naked women in the magazine without anyone complaining.  Breasts maybe...I doubt though Nuvo published photographs of a woman's genitalia, which is a far different thing.

Last Saturday afternoon, I flipped through the television dial and stumbled on Sex and the City.  The character known as Samantha, who is extremely promiscuous and proud of it, was in bed having sex with two men.

The last thing I want is government censoring television or newspapers.  However, that doesn't mean that Nuvo and that television network shouldn't acknowledge that parents might find the content inappropriate for their children and respect their views not to expose them to that content.  Oh, and for those who suggest that's the parents' job, the notion that parents are going to monitor their children 24/7 is unrealistic.  What's wrong with the private sector taking steps to help out parents? Why did Nuvo need to run that photograph in a publication that any child could pick up and see?  Why couldn't the television network show Sex and the City after 9 pm, a time when young children are off to bed?

It is called having respect for other people's values.