Are Republicans on the Wrong Side of History?: Poll Shows Support For Same Sex Marriage Has Risen Sharply Over Past Five Years

Yesterday the Indiana Senate approved a constitutional amendment banning same sex marriage.  It is the first of a three step process on the road to making the amendment part of Indiana's Constitution.

While some Democrats supported the proposal, the amendment's supporters were overwhelmingly Republican.  I have long posted here that I don't see how same sex marriage undermines the institution of marriage. If marriage and family are fundamental building blocks of our society, which I believe, why would we want to exclude same sex couples?

Today I take a different angle...pure politics. A poll by the The Washington Post/ABC News last month shows that 53% of Americans now support same sex marriage. Five years ago, that same question showed only 31% support for same sex marriage.

I can't see the poll numbers reversing.   Republicans are stuck on the wrong side of history, marginalizing themselves on an issue that could define the party for generations into the future.   It's time to wake up and forget this constitutional amendment nonsense.